[OmniOS-discuss] LX zone empty error messages

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Sep 23 21:29:31 UTC 2016

> On Sep 22, 2016, at 10:08 PM, Michael Talbott <mtalbott at lji.org> wrote:
>
> Ah HA! So, I did not have a zfs dataset at /zones. I created one, retried the process and the same ominous message popped up :( Then I rebooted and tried again, and success! Hurray! Now I can carry on with my testing :)

Followup, as much for me as for you,

The failure isn't more verbose because the zones-common function get_zonepath_ds() requires a variable be set by the brand script, which our LX zone code does not, currently.  We need to fix that, so instead of:

ERROR:

we can instead print something like what the ipkg/lipkg brand does:

ERROR:  the zonepath must be a ZFS dataset.
The parent directory of the zonepath must be a ZFS dataset so that the
zonepath ZFS dataset can be created properly.

Now I'm beginning to understand why the brand scripts of ipkg were brought into Oracle's version of illumos-gate for Oracle Solaris.  Some of the ipkg/lipkg items can/should be more common across other brands as well.

Until that day, however, I will make sure the lx_install script has a proper $f_no_ds variable set.

Thanks again, Michael!