[OmniOS-discuss] Low powered and cheap OmniOS server?

Davide Poletto davide.poletto at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 15:08:59 UTC 2016

My take: HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8
<http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5379860>
(the one G1610T CPU based) or a Gen7 too: sufficiently silent (not
completely silent since has 2 fans), it doesn't consume so much power (with
Toshiba DT01ACAxxx drives is really silent - no vibrations), keep in mind
that it needs expensive "transposers" if you're planning to use SSD 2,5"
disks on its 3,5" bays (it has 4)...overall IMHO, it's compact enough and
it works flawlessly with OmniOS (tested on N36L, N40L and N54L which was
Gen 7). I have a few at home mostly equipped with 8GB or 16GB ECC Ram (a
must with ZFS, clearly) and Toshiba 1TB/2TB HDDs. OS is installed on a
dedicated 40GB Intel SSD 320 series connected into the optical drive bay
through its 5th SATA cable (internal). If you're brave enough you can test
OmniOS on a USB Flash...but I hard endurance troubles (so I switched to SSD
for the peace of my mind)...NAS4Free (FreeBSD based) runs flawlessly on USB
Stick on a pair of MicroServer I deployed as long term ZFS backup boxes
(really rock solid...on a Gen 7...about 37k working hours without a single
glitch). Hope it helps.