[OmniOS-discuss] Low powered and cheap OmniOS server?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Sep 29 15:52:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016, Paul Jochum wrote:

> Hi All:
>
>    Looking for the latest recommendations on a low powered and cheap OmniOS
> server.  This would be for home use, looking to use it as way of backing up
> Linux and Windows boxes.  Anyone have a recommendation?

I am very happy with my 1U SuperMicro server based on the Xeon-D SOC.
It takes hardly any power at all, makes very little noise, and
performance is pretty good.  The system boots from two Samsung AHCI
M.2 drives (one M.2 slot is via an add-in card).

The main drawback is that even though the chassis provides 8 hot-swap
SFF drive bays, the SOC only supports 6 SATA interfaces so only 6 of
those bays can be used without consuming the single card slot for a
HBA.  If one adds an HBA then 8 hot-swap SFF slots are available, but
only one M.2 slot is then available for use as a boot device.

I am not sure how much total storage can be attained with 6 SFF drives
for backup server purposes.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn