[OmniOS-discuss] Low powered and cheap OmniOS server?

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 18:33:32 UTC 2016

hi,

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Paul Jochum <paul.jochum at nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
>     Looking for the latest recommendations on a low powered and cheap
> OmniOS server.  This would be for home use, looking to use it as way of
> backing up Linux and Windows boxes.  Anyone have a recommendation?

HP microserver 40NL, with a  IBM serveraid m1015 sas/sata raid controller
in jbod mode.

I use the internal 4 sata 2 connectors with 4x3Tib hard drives, and I
bought one of these (not available any more, unfortunately):
https://azerty.nl/0-1651-403300/sharkoon-sata-quickport-intern-6-bay-.html

I replaced the cd/dvd drive with that bay expansion, I have 2 laptop drives
as rpool and one ssd as cache. If I run out of space I can add 3 2,5'' hard
drives to the pool, or create a new pool. It even has a e-sata connection,
so I could add an external enclosure as well.

I got the kvm module as well, so it's quite a convenient litlle thing.

Not the fastest cpu, but hey, for that price and low consumption .. ;-)
--
Groeten,
natxo