[OmniOS-discuss] Omios, hvm and AWS

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczko.tomasz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 11:56:04 UTC 2017

On 1 August 2017 at 12:37, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]

> All what you need is create such image. On top of the Solaris is it quite
>> easy. All what you need is VBox.
>> Such method is quite handy because using VboxManage command is possible
>> to create, setup blank VM and boot it in batch mode.
>>
>> Below is fragment of my script which could be used as template. It is for
>> install Linux inside but it can be adapted to install any OS (Solaris as
>> well)
>>

> Have you tried this with Solaris or illumos?

As client OS inside VM? No.

> It doesn't work, because the root ZFS pool embeds the physical paths
> to the disk inside the pool, and the emulated disk devices that VBox
> provides don't match what comes in an EC2 instance. So yes, you can
> create an image, but at some point you need to fix the pool to have the
> correct metadata.

Still it should be possible to do this somehow after detaching image from
VBox and uploading it to AWS bucket or by emulate the same physical path
inside VBox instance.
IIRC in vmdk image effective image starts from offset 32256 so it should be
possible to extract it using dd command -> attach extracted image over
lofiadm and import rpool -> correct rpool path -> join corrected image with
vmdk header.

Do you know what exactly needs to be corrected or what is wrong with this
physical path to disk inside zpool?

kloczek
--
Tomasz Kłoczko | LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH