[OmniOS-discuss] Moving The Root Pool

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 19:54:40 UTC 2017

On 14/02/2017 14:32, Jaakko Linnosaari wrote:

>> On 14 Feb 2017, at 16.06, Andre Kruger <andre at ak47.co.za
>> <mailto:andre at ak47.co.za>> wrote:
>>
>> But, on many Windows forums there are warning cloning a HDD directly
>> to an SSD, of the boot drive drive C, and then using the SSD.
>> Apparently many users have experienced very slow performance. You can
>> however clone from HDD to HDD or SSD to SSD without these performance
>> problems. From there my question if anybody knows of a caveat not to
>> do it in this way if I want to clone my rpool from HDD to SSD. If
>> none I would rather walk this path as it is far less trouble.
>
> I think the slow (write) performance is due to too small block size
> and write amplification.

You might want to update sd.conf with this...

https://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/List+of+sd-config-list+entries+for+Advanced-Format+drives

I recently added the Evo 850 to it, so it gives me an ashift 13 zpool on it.

That might stop you attaching it to an ashift 9 rpool though. I created
a new rpool (called something else - the name doesn't matter),
replicated the fdisk/slice structure, zfs send/recv the data across, and
installed grub.

--

Andrew Gabriel