[OmniOS-discuss] LX Zones - Password for Canned SmartOS Images

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Thu Jan 5 18:40:38 UTC 2017

> On Jan 5, 2017, at 1:37 PM, Mini Trader <miniflowtrader at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> root at storage1:/root#  dladm show-link
> LINK        CLASS     MTU    STATE    BRIDGE     OVER
> vmxnet3s0   phys      1500   up       --         --
> vmxnet3s1   phys      9000   up       --         --
> lx0         vnic      1500   up       --         vmxnet3s0
> root at storage1:/root#
> root at storage1:/root#         dladm show-vnic
> LINK         OVER         SPEED  MACADDRESS        MACADDRTYPE         VID
> lx0          vmxnet3s0    10000  2:8:20:75:44:a6   random              0
> root at storage1:/root#
> root at storage1:/root#         dladm show-ether
> LINK            PTYPE    STATE    AUTO  SPEED-DUPLEX                    PAUSE
> vmxnet3s0       current  up       no    10G-f                           none
> vmxnet3s1       current  up       no    10G-f                           none
>
> Will be hard to get a physical NIC on the machine.

Oh, I wasn't clear.

Can you assigned vmxnet3s1 to your LX zone?  If not, I get it.  It doesn't need to be physical, but it needs to be "not a vNIC".  vmxnet counts as a "native NIC" in this case.

Another experiment you can try to prove my VMware-host-is-the-problem hypothesis is to create a boring old ipkg or lipkg zone, and see if networking works or not in it.

A beer says you can't get networking with a vnic to work in a regular zone as well.