[OmniOS-discuss] A problem and puzzle with disappearing ZFS snapshots

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Jan 9 16:31:16 UTC 2017

> On Jan 9, 2017, at 11:13 AM, Chris Siebenmann <cks at cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
>
> The answer to my question turns out to be 'yes'. If you do:
> 	rmdir <fs>/.zfs/snapshot/<snapshot-name>
>
> and ZFS accepts this, there is no entry made in 'zpool history'; the
> snapshot is silently deleted.

Now I wonder if THAT should be addressed as a ZFS bug?

If you'd like, I can engage OpenZFS, or you can.

And as for OmniOS availability, bugs fixed before end-of-May are 99%-likely to make it into r151022.  022 is going to break the 6-month cadence due to Python2.7 switch and the BSD Loader transition.  Since you migrate on LTS released, 022 is where you'll likely jump-to-next (Am I right?).

Thanks for the update!