[OmniOS-discuss] A problem and puzzle with disappearing ZFS snapshots

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Jan 9 16:39:16 UTC 2017

> > On Jan 9, 2017, at 11:13 AM, Chris Siebenmann <cks at cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
> >
> > The answer to my question turns out to be 'yes'. If you do:
> > 	rmdir <fs>/.zfs/snapshot/<snapshot-name>
> >
> > and ZFS accepts this, there is no entry made in 'zpool history'; the
> > snapshot is silently deleted.
>
> Now I wonder if THAT should be addressed as a ZFS bug?
>
> If you'd like, I can engage OpenZFS, or you can.

 I'd be happy to see this addressed as a ZFS bug. I think it's better
if you engaged OpenZFS on it; you're probably better set up to argue
that this should show up in zpool history even if it's not a command
as such.

 It turns out that you can also make snapshots with mkdir and they
don't show up in zpool history either, so probably both issues should
be raised and fixed as one.

> And as for OmniOS availability, bugs fixed before end-of-May are
> 99%-likely to make it into r151022.  022 is going to break the 6-month
> cadence due to Python2.7 switch and the BSD Loader transition.  Since
> you migrate on LTS released, 022 is where you'll likely jump-to-next
> (Am I right?).

 It's most likely that we'll go for LTS updates. My odds of persuading
my co-workers to agree to an update are certainly much better when a new
LTS release comes out and our current LTS release stops being supported.

(My co-workers are rationally very conservative about changing a critical
piece of our infrastructure when the current setup works, and it's basically
impossible to fully test things short of throwing it into production.)

	- cks