[OmniOS-discuss] Annoying vim behavior for new system bring-up

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jan 22 22:02:17 UTC 2017

I am configuring a new system based on OmniOS r151020.  While running
as root and attempting to cut-and-paste text into 'vi' using a Gnome
terminal open on (via ssh) both a prior OmniOS r151020 system and the
new one, I always get the error:

"E353: Nothing in register ""

and the paste fails.  This is incredibly annoying.

I notice that vim on the new system displays colorized text (it does
not on the "old" r151020 system, which has been upgraded several
times) and automatically inserts some additional text when I hit enter
such as on a comment line.  This is also behavior unsuitable for new
system bring-up.

Is there an easy way to bring back sane behavior?

I do recall discussion on the mailing list of changing vim defaults
but the implications were not clear.

Thanks,

Bob
--