[OmniOS-discuss] Annoying vim behavior for new system bring-up

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jan 22 22:42:15 UTC 2017

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> I am configuring a new system based on OmniOS r151020.  While running as root
> and attempting to cut-and-paste text into 'vi' using a Gnome terminal open on
> (via ssh) both a prior OmniOS r151020 system and the new one, I always get
> the error:
>
> "E353: Nothing in register ""
>
> and the paste fails.  This is incredibly annoying.

It seems that this bad behavior occurs if 'vim' is not able to access
the home directory indicated in the HOME environment variable.

Vim seems to do automatic things (e.g. attempt to read/write files in
the directory indicated by the inherited $HOME environment variable)
which are counter-productive when running (via pfexec) as root and the
system is in flux.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn