[OmniOS-discuss] Annoying vim behavior for new system bring-up

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Jan 23 16:17:46 UTC 2017

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017, Dan McDonald wrote:

>> On Jan 22, 2017, at 5:02 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
>>
>> I do recall discussion on the mailing list of changing vim defaults but the implications were not clear.
>
> I did warn you.  :)
>
> All of these new behaviors came out as part of the upgrade to VIM 8.
> If we want more sane defaults for, say, next-LTS, this would be the
> time to discuss them.

The "fix" in my case for vim may actually be that when i re-logged in,
I now did so for a user with an existing vim configuration file which
would have been used and may have "cured" the vim behavior.  The
"cured" vim looked just like traditional vi without use of screen
colors.  Not being very smart about vim, this file must contain
defaults saved by the older vim since I did not intentionally add any
settings.

I failed to mention that my administration terminal is on a Solaris 10
system using its Gnome2 desktop and the terminal output is set to
UTF-8 mode.

The ability to cut-and-paste into vi between two terminals is quite
useful.  Has anyone else encountered this problem with OmniOS?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn