[OmniOS-discuss] PCI-e x8 only running x4

Dale Ghent daleg at omniti.com
Tue Jan 24 00:27:51 UTC 2017

> On Jan 23, 2017, at 5:13 PM, Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with a LSI 1068E HBA which supposedly should be
> capable of exhausting all 8 lanes in a x8 slot but it seems not to use
> more than 4 lanes:
>
> 06:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)
>                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
>                LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x4, TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
>
> MB: SuperMicro X10SLL-F
>
> Currently only disks (SATA disks through SATA break-out cabel) connected
> to one channel so is it therefore it only uses 4 lanes currently?

Check your BIOS settings for the slots, they might be limited there. I also note that this motherboard model has two physical x8 PCIe slots but one of them is wired for 4 lanes only. Is your card in that slot? Something not linking up like this is likely to be more of a hardware configuration issue.

Also keep in mind that the 1068E card is quite old and its driver support in OmniOS/illumos is still the closed-source mpt driver binary, so there is not much room here.

/dale