[OmniOS-discuss] NVMe JBOF

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Fri Dec 14 16:20:35 UTC 2018

I can't speak to the Supermicro, but I can talk in detail about https://www.vikingenterprisesolutions.com/products-2/nds-2244/

> While I do not run HA because of too many issues, I still build everything with two server nodes.  This makes updates and reboots possible by moving a pool to the sister host and greatly minimizing downtime.   This is essential when the NFS target is hosting 300+ vSphere VMs.

The NDS-2244 is a 24-slot u.2 NVMe chassis with programmable PCIe switches.
To the host, the devices look like locally attached NVMe and there is no software
changes required. Multiple hosts can connect, up to the PCIe port limits. If you use
dual-port NVMe drives, then you can share the drives between any two hosts concurrently.
Programming the switches is accomplished out-of-band by an HTTTP-based interface
that also monitors the enclosure.

In other words, if you want a NVMe equivalent to a dual-hosted SAS JBOD, the NDS-2244
is very capable, but more configurable.
 -- richard