[OmniOS-discuss] NVMe JBOF

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Fri Dec 14 19:54:44 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 10:20 AM Richard Elling <
richard.elling at richardelling.com> wrote:

> I can't speak to the Supermicro, but I can talk in detail about
> https://www.vikingenterprisesolutions.com/products-2/nds-2244/
>

> > While I do not run HA because of too many issues, I still build
> everything with two server nodes.  This makes updates and reboots possible
> by moving a pool to the sister host and greatly minimizing downtime.   This
> is essential when the NFS target is hosting 300+ vSphere VMs.
>
> The NDS-2244 is a 24-slot u.2 NVMe chassis with programmable PCIe switches.
> To the host, the devices look like locally attached NVMe and there is no
> software
> changes required. Multiple hosts can connect, up to the PCIe port limits.
> If you use
> dual-port NVMe drives, then you can share the drives between any two hosts
> concurrently.
> Programming the switches is accomplished out-of-band by an HTTTP-based
> interface
> that also monitors the enclosure.
>
> In other words, if you want a NVMe equivalent to a dual-hosted SAS JBOD,
> the NDS-2244
> is very capable, but more configurable.
>  -- richard

This is execellent.   I like the idea of only one host seeing the SSDs at
once, but a programatic way to flip them to the other host.   This solves
the fencing problem in ZFS nicely.

Thanks for product reference.   The Viking JBOF looks like what I need.

-Chip