[OmniOS-discuss] VEEAM backups to CIFS fail only on OmniOS hypercongerged VM

Oliver Weinmann oliver.weinmann at me.com
Thu Jun 14 07:04:45 UTC 2018

Dear All,

I’m struggling with this issue since day one and I have not found any solution for it yet. We use VEEAM to back up our VMs and an OmniOS VM as a CIFS target. We have one OmniOS VM for internal and one for DMZ. VEEAM Backups to the one for internal work fine. No problems at all. Backups to the DMZ one fail every time. I can access the CIFS share just fine from windows. When the backup starts two or three VMs are backed up and then it fails. I have requested support from VEEAM and it turns out the same job running against a Windows server CIFS share works just fine. I couldn’t believe that OmniOS is the culprit as the CIFS implementation from Illumos is very good. So I setup a new OmniOS bare-metal server and created a zone for DMZ. I setup a cifs share and ran the same job. Everything works fine. I compared the settings from both the VM and the Zone and they are 100% identical. Only difference is one is a VM and one is a Zone. But since the VEEAM backup to the internal VM has no problems with the backup, I don’t think virtualization is a problem here. Is there anywhere I can start investigating further? I would be more than happy to use a zone instead of a full blown VM but since there is no ISCSI and NFS server support in a Zone I have to stick with the VM as we need NFS since the VM is also a datastore for a few VMs.

Any help is really appreciated.

Best Regards,

Oliver