[OmniOS-discuss] Restrucuring ZPool required?

Oliver Weinmann oliver.weinmann at icloud.com
Mon Jun 18 06:27:30 UTC 2018

Hi,

we have a HGST4u60 SATA JBOD with 24 x 10TB disks. I just saw that back then when we created the pool we only cared about disk space and so we created a raidz2 pool with all 24disks in one vdev. I have the impression that this is cool for disk space but is really bad for IO since this only provides the IO of a single disk. We only use it for backups and cold CIFS data but I have the impression that especially running a single VEEAM backup copy job really maxes out the IO. In our case the VEEAM backup copy job reads and writes the data from the storage. Now I wonder if it makes sense to restructure the Pool. I have to admit that I don't have any other system with a lot of disk space so I can't simply mirror the snapshots to another system and recreate the pool from scratch.

Would adding two ZIL SSDs improve performance?

Any help is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Oliver