[OmniOS-discuss] Big Data

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Tue Jun 19 18:48:07 UTC 2018

I've used BeeGFS on Ubuntu 16.04 for about a year now.   I like your idea
of putting it lxzones on OmniOS for scratch space.

I have found it to scale with millions of files very well.   It's running
on a 4 node cluster.  Each node is client, metadata and data nodes.   These
are very big GPU boxes with 9 Tesla GPUs, 40 CPU cores and 256GB ram.

The metadata is mirrored on 2 Samsung Pro SSDs on each node.   It sustains
about 33k metadata ops with never more than one queued.

This is my third iteration of setting it up.  Metadata performance was our
bottleneck each time previously.   What I have found is that latency and
horizontal scaling is king with BeeGFS metadata.   It doesn't take a lot of
CPU, but keep it close as possible on the network to the clients and keep
latency low with fast network and SSDs.

My complaints about BeeGFS is lack of snapshots, so backup is limited to
rsync of a live file system.   For this reason it's only used for this very
high read demand cluster.  I still use ZFS on OmniOS for our PBs of data
where snapshots and replication are priceless.

-Chip