[OmniOS-discuss] ZFS data corruption

wuffers moo at wuffers.net
Mon Aug 17 13:48:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 8:04 AM, Joerg Goltermann <jg at osn.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have the same problems. First time it occurs about 6 month
> ago, I wrote several mails on the zfs list but I was not able
> to solve the problem.
>
> The last mail was http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.illumos.zfs/4883
> I tried to debug the issue, but my zfs knowledge is not deep enough.
>
> Hopefully we can solve this nasty thing now ....
>

> In my case I am quite sure this is not a real corruption, it's a retry
> with "strange" flags which caused my "errors". Maybe this IO is very
> slow, which can cause problems on the hosts, but i have never seen
> any real problems....

One of the VMs on that datastore was Exchange, and it definitely had
issues. I had to evacuate and move several mailboxes to another database,
and repair some of them (users were reporting strange issues like not being
able to move emails to existing folders).

I don't think it's a coincidence that a VM that was on that block device
suddenly had weird issues (and the Exchange VM was consuming the largest
amount of space in that datastore).

> On 16.08.2015 19:11, Stephan Budach wrote:

> So, did your first scrub reveal any error at all? Mine didn't and I
>> suspect, that you issued a zpool clear prior to scrubbing, which made
>> the errors go away on both of my two zpools…
>>
>> I'd say, that you had excatly the same error as me.

I am 100% certain I did not issue a zpool clear. I ran the scrub only once
(as it takes ~8 days for it to go through in my case).

  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 184h28m with 0 errors on Wed Aug  5 06:38:32
2015