[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS on Dual CPU Mac Pro

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Jan 30 22:05:11 UTC 2017

> On Jan 30, 2017, at 4:41 PM, Eric Bardes <ericbardes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm running into an interesting situation.
>
> I have an older "Cheese Grater" style Mac Pro (mid-2012 - MacPro5,1) with Dual Xeon 6-Core CPUs and 64GB ECC RAM. (24 execution threads) that I'm trying to install OmniOS onto. It's been crashing on installation of OmniOS (also on OpenIndiana too) and I think I've narrowed it down to the ZFS file system creation. Has anyone else run into this? Is there something in the kernel debugger I can look at?

So the newer HW panics, but...

> it's sister, a 2010 or 2009 Mac Pro with one Xeon 4 core (8 threads) has been running OpenIndiana Hipster flawlessly.

... the older HW runs without a hitch, huh?

One thing you can do is get to the grub menu, edit the "unix" line to include "-k" in its arguments.  You'll drop into kmdb upon panic, and you can utter things like:

	$c  (see stack)

	::msgbuf (scroll through kernel printf backlog, including more info on the panic itself).

Hope this helps,